Follow Our Blog!

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

28 June, 2015, Kathy Returns
      I awoke at Dowker Island to a little taste of what Lac St Louis can dish out. Having become somewhat complacent with all this canal and river navigation I had not listened to a weather forecast, and down the lake came the wind. I really felt I needed to get back to the Yacht Club to pick up Kathy, so I bit the bullet and charged out into it. Well, wind against current, plus lake gave me all that I wanted for waves, a good 4-5 foot chop, closely spaced. As I neared the Eastern shore the “sea” or is it “lake” moderated, and once again it felt good to enter the Yacht Club Harbor.
      I set out right away walking back to Boat World for a few more items, thru the lite but steady rain. I arrived at 1305 and all was dark, had I miss-read the hours, yes, Ferme a 1300 heures. Drat! It's not Samedi, its Dimanche. But a lady was just leaving the dark store and I must have looked like such a drowned rat that she offered to drive me back to the Yacht Club, and pick me up on her way to open the store the next morning. Turns out Laurie Ann owns Boat World so of course yes, we will be ready at 0900. She even stopped at the grocery store for me on the way back to the boat.       
      Turns out Laurie Ann is a member at the club, has a 28 foot sailer and has hopes of soon gaining another older but good looking 37 foot Islander sloop. I dunno Laurie Ann, that boat you already have, the “Thus Far” looks pretty good too me.
      About 1530 Kathy returns with stories of how at the Montreal airport they had lots of questions as to how she is going to get back out of the country, trying to explain that we are sailing on our own boat took her thru several different sections of the airport before she could get someone to understand that we are on our own boat traveling. They wanted either her student visa or to have the cruise ship company get them the right paperwork so they would be satisfied why she intended to stay in Canada until September. Eventually she got thru and finally back to the boat.
      It was a chilly, damp evening, so to warm up a bit we dined on a baked chicken, with mashed potatoes and corn on the cob to warm things up. Comfort food.


No comments:

Post a Comment