Follow Our Blog!

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

December 17 -20, 2015 What do you think you're doing?

Once you start thinking about crossing over to the Bahamas there are many things to consider. Among them are, where to depart from, where to enter the Bahamas, what last minute supplies you might need, groceries, hardware, fuel , water, etc.

We have chosen to depart from the South end of Key Largo, which is on a latitude that is South of our first Bahamas destination, Cat Cay. This need to be to the South is in whole due to the flow of the Gulf Stream, which flows North at 2 to 3 knots. As our boat speed is somewhere around 6 knots this 2-3 knot current is an important factor. Our plan is to ride with the Gulf Stream current as much as possible. The distance across for us will be 80 miles.

The next biggest consideration is the weather for the crossing. There must be no North winds the day we cross the Gulf Stream, as Northbound current against wind from the North spells Rough Seas. We have recently been in a northerly period and now the wind has moved to the East, things are lining up.

So for provisioning, in part due to expected higher costs of everything in the islands we have stocked up on groceries. Water and fuel are also to be considered. Most cruisers carry extra water in jugs, sometimes on deck.

The day we landed at Tarpon Basin, at the recommended Municipal Landing, when we were putting our trash in the dumpster, we spoke with Dean, the head custodian for the property. He was very accommodating and told us all the services they had to offer, rest rooms, WIFI, a nice air-conditioned public space in the building, but he told us that they had some trouble with local boat live-aboard folks, taking advantage of the situation, and making the property their home.
Sunrise, Tarpon Basin
The next day we walked up Route One and did some shopping. One of the things we bought was an extra 5 gallon water jug. When we got back to the landing, Kathy had some internet work to do, so I went to see if I could find a spigot to fill my new water jug. A guy in a county truck was just leaving the lot as I walked thru and he recognized I was looking for water, so he told me where the tap was along the side of the building, sort of in the back. I headed out beside the building, found the tap and was skooched down at the tap filling my jug when out of nowhere, Dean came around the corner and said in a kinda loud voice, “What do you think you're doing?” I said, “Filling my water jug?” He said, you know you're not supposed to do that, you know everything is locked up, you've seen the locks!”

I hadn't seen any locks nor did I know I wasn't supposed to take water. I said, and I know it sounded lame, “The guy in the truck told me I could.” Deans says, “What guy, what truck, you need to get out of here.” I said, “The white truck.” Even more lame, I know, then I had to gain the offensive, I said, “Dean, we talked to you yesterday, my wife Kathy and I at the dumpster, you said... At which point his face turned confused, then friendly, then apologetic. “Oh I am sorry, I thought you were someone else, (one of the local bums), you go right ahead, get your water, I am so sorry.” I said, “I'll stop, I don't want to make trouble” Dean said, No, it's perfectly OK, we build the waterfront for visiting boaters, It's the live-aboards that ruin it for everyone.”

Well that was a tense situation, but we came out of it alright. Dean is right, many of the live-aboards cause trouble, their boats are obvious: blue tarps and junk piled sky-high, filthy looking, and anchored nine ways to Sunday. And in the end, when one of their boats sinks in the harbor, there is no-one to clean up the mess, the people just move to the woods, or onto another scruffy-looking boat. Almost every out-lying harbor has a sunken boat or two, masts marking the spot. We are anchored next to one right now.

But on the plus side, we were entertained this evening by three or more manatees who were swimming lazily about, between us and a catamaran.  It's hard to get a good picture of them - they were only sticking their noses up to breathe, and they occasionally slapped a tail at us.
Manatee tail in the foreground, 2nd manatee behind.

December 21, 2015 Tommie Training

This morning we decided to go across Tarpon Basin to a more remote area to go for a swim. As we had recently up-graded the Tommie retrieval system and we thought it was time to let her try it out. It took two tries to get her into the dinghy, then she and I drifted astern. When we were about 40 feet astern I let her go, not happy she prowled the the dinghy staying low. Then I got to the oars with the intention of coming close enough to the Willie Dawes so that she might jump to the float, then climb up the heavy braided lines. Well she had her own ideas and at about 25 feet from the Willie she had had enough, and leaped into the water and made time for the Willie. She went right for the float but made a glancing attempt then started swimming for the bow, yowling all the time. I made chase and at the bow she doubled back, then came to the dinghy where she grabbed the fendering and pulled herself aboard. I got hold of her and we drifted astern in the wind. Once again we approached from astern, but this time she went to the bow of the dinghy and made a mighty leap, right to the wooden rail of the Willie, and climbed right aboard. Am I glad that isn't a varnished rail! Not too happy, and soaked to the skin, Tommie hid under the cockpit. Guess what? She didn't trust us for almost an hour, but she's no worse for wear, and a darned strong swimmer.
Tommie scopes out the distance from the dinghy to the Willie.
 
"I think maybe I can swim there..."
"Ok, I'm going for it!  Yeeaaaah!"  

December 22, 2015 Window opening, or is it?

Well, our weather window is approaching, tomorrow night, only problem is we have not received our “Pet Importation Permit” We sent the application on December 8, $10 permit fee, $5 for them to fax it to us, $5 fee for a money order, $50 to fed-ex it to the Bahamas, now three phone calls at $5 a pop to find out if they have it and in fact are going to get it back to us. Not to mention the international Vet check-up we got in Palm Bay, (which has probably expired).  Yesterday, they said tomorrow the permits would come. Today they say maybe.

We decided to prepare as though we would get the permit, hate to miss a weather window opportunity. We head ashore to grocery shop what we hope to be the last time stateside. As we were approaching the supermarket Kathy's phone buzzed. “We got it” she exclaimed.  We're going to the Bahamas!  To the UPS Store to print out the emailed FAX, or the Faxed email, not sure which. We also shipped home a box of East coast charts that we won't be needing for a while.

Then on to the grocery, then back to the boat, and haul anchor to head to Community Harbor where we will get fuel and water (legally) tomorrow.  We arrived just before dusk, anchored in 4 feet of water.  There are many boats here, and someone is holding a large, loud party on one of them.  Worshipping the solstice maybe?

Things look like a go for tomorrow night's crossing to the Bahamas.  

2 comments:

  1. What a post! Suspense, thrills, action...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wet cats... Poor Tommy! Found your experience at the water tap really interesting, given that in cruising circles I frequent "liveaboard" is a term of pride and respect, not the mark of a pariah! Guess we have something to learn about FL politics. :-(

      Delete