Follow Our Blog!

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Oct - Mola Mola supplement

     I forgot to include a mention of the mola mola we saw when transiting Massachusetts Bay from Gloucester to Plymouth.  I had just taken the helm when I caught sight of a fin.  I saw it move a couple times and I saw the footprint of something to our port.  I said to Dan "There's something right there!!"  He glanced over the side and called out "I think it's a mola mola!"
     Mola molas are giant sunfish.  They are fat-bodied, with a large fin, like a sail, and often will lay just under the surface in one spot flipping that big fin from side to side.  If you don't see them, it's easy to run into them because they do just sit there.


     This guy had a large gash on his topside; he obviously had an encounter with a boat.

1 comment:

  1. Just spotted one of those babies from the ferry a couple of weeks ago, right off the Rockland breakwater. Very strange looking... like only the front half managed to evolve. The fish that time forgot!

    ReplyDelete